The Greenport Farmers' Market
The mission of Greenport Farmers Market is to create a place to educate, connect and support communities, agriculture and aquaculture.
The goals of the Greenport Farmers Market are to:
SUPPORT regional sustainable producers, by providing them with direct access to consumers.
EDUCATE the public to the nutritional and economic benefits of buying locally grown food
directly from farmers.
UNITE farmers, fishermen and communities.
Greenport Farmers Market will:
1. Provide local farms and fishermen with alternative distribution programs which will allow them to sell directly to consumers and thereby enable them to be economically viable and sustainable.
2. Provide consumers, especially those of low or fixed incomes, with low-cost ways to obtain fresher, more nutritious food through direct purchase from farmers or producers.
3. Develop and promote programs for public education on the nutritional values of fresh foods.
4. Encourage and promote growth in the number and variety of family farms and community gardens.
5. Create opportunities for families to better understand the human side of our food system by meeting the farmers and fishermen who produce and catch our food.
6. Promote and support sustainable agriculture and aquaculture.
7. To provide regular social, festive marketplaces for community unification and enjoyment.
8. To promote and support community food security, and sustainability for all socioeconomic groups to ensure people’s equal access to sufficient, high-quality food for all.